Monday, September 21, 2009

These City Streets

Change rattling in a stained
Coffee cup
Arm extended, "I need your love"
Sign read:
Feed mEe. IM Hungray
In need of home.
I notice there is sympathy for the
Dumb.

I know these city streets
Lived in these city streets
I breathed these city streets
Until the fumes of the sewers
Became me

A penny for my thoughts?
Why sure!
Futures torn at crossroads
Battles of the races;
Civilized white people to the black savages
Economy at a turmoil;
A wall street crisis.
Hopes raked
Like autumn leaves
"I need your touch"
Visions of success
Built high, torn down
Like city skyscrapers
And a
Melting pot
Brewing

Black and smokey
We are Blanketed by a perilous fog
Everything seems gray and murky
The average new Yorker whisks their thoughts away
And masks the pain
And go ahead day by day.
"I need shelter, I need warmth"
The cold shoulder
And blank stares
Is it that there is a humble person in there?

"thank you pretty lady"
I look at them doe eyed as they pass
Searching for a place in existence

No comments:

Post a Comment