Thursday, November 5, 2009

Test of Strength (A coming of Age Story)

I thought
Age had overcame me
Bludgeoning me with all of its responsibilities
Striking me with much force
A bat of blunt reality

A hit to the head
For this I wasn’t prepared

And expectations of what one must know
Because with age, not treading too far behind there is wisdom
And everyone is
Plucking my brain bare
If it were up to choice they would leave nothing there
Trying to find out all that I know
Challenging me
Pushing
Seeing how far they can go
Oh they didn’t tell you
Its gets harder as you grow

You start with abundance
A childlike innocence
Your whole perspective
Changes when you fall victim
To heartbreak, yes
A heart aches.
Deception and lies
Tricked and fooled
You have just been used
And just like a cut healed leaving a scar
These things shape you
You become immune to
The phony
You see right through
Those who are counterfeit

Now your skin is thick

In life people have tested
I’m sure at one point they have guessed that
I didn’t go through life’s hardening rules
Because I’m so joyful, I put a smile on my face
Never letting the negativity slow down my pace
I tend to shock them, you should see their face
When I flip the roles and pull out that bat of blunt reality
Putting those motherfuckers right back in their place.

1 comment:

  1. I Like this, I love how it flows. Very Deep!!! Go you bro, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete