Friday, August 6, 2010

Why Is Kanye West Racist?




KanYe took to UStream earlier this evening to answer questions and discuss past and present work, his inspiration for his 90 second clip for his first single "POWER" and a slew of other topics. One person asked him why he was racist. Here is what Ye had to say:

“I don’t know a rapper before me that liked white people more than me. I don’t know a rapper that wore tighter jeans. I don’t know a rapper that collaborated with more white people. I know what it is that I did that made people put it in a box like that but it never came from a place of racism. I’m not going to dial into that but I would just like to say in no way am I a racist. Sometimes it frustrates me when people call me names and try to down me like I’m not a real human being. A Lot of times when I talk extremely cocky, I’m not talking about myself, I’m talking about the work. I think people should be proud of their work or they should never put it out. All I can do is take time and be a better person….. It’s no more time to be a rude asshole, celebrity or none of that. It’s about the art. I’m not allowing my attitude to get in the way of my creation anymore. I had to change my attitude completely and now my statement is only of amazing work."

Kanye said something in this piece that truly spoke to me. "I think people should be proud of their work or they should never put it out." With all of the flack he gets about being egotistical and always bragging about his work, he is so right. So what if he brags a little more than any other artist and so what if he's not modest. The man's work is genius. This quote also inspired me to be a little more confident in my own writing. If you don't believe in yourself who will?

Check out his new new video "POWER" below:

2 comments:

  1. I like this post. I missed his ustream, but this was real deep. I agree with him, if you not proud of it then don't put it out! I also will be a little more confident in my work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Said. Artist (famous & undiscovered) should always be their own biggest fan and take pride in their work. Nothing is wrong with encouraging yourself and patting yourself on the back.

    ReplyDelete